04 March 2013

Missing McQueen

I still think about Alexander McQueen a lot.

I probably think about Alexander McQueen way more than someone who never knew him and who has never worn his clothing (and probably never will) should.


Maybe it's silly, but I actually feel quite sad whenever I remember that he's gone and I think of how we'll never see all any the creations he would have made had he lived. And it's probably unfair, but I can't look at a new collection without thinking "but what would McQueen have done this season?", as if there was a specific trajectory in which his designs were going and it's impossible that Sarah Burton would be going in the same trajectory simply because she isn't McQueen.

Also, I can't even look at the skulls without wondering if he would've put them into retirement by now. I understand that they're probably the brand's moneymaker, but enough already. I can't help but think that he would have moved on to something else by now.

I still see his influence everywhere. I see it in on racks in shops like H&M and I see it in recent collections from designers like Givenchy and Prabal Gurung and Dolce & Gabbana.







The final collection by McQueen himself showed in 2010 (above), but the strength of his point of view is still resonating throughout fashion. That's some pretty amazing and powerful stuff.

Photos from style.com and target.com, video from showstudio.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment