14 January 2013

4 Things I Watched This Weekend...

...while I was sick in bed again. Again? Yes, AGAIN.

1. Marina Abramović - The Artist is Present



I found out about this documentary when I came across this tumblr account last week. I remember hearing about Marina Abramović a few times, but never really looked into her work because performance art has never really been my thing. It still isn't, but I find her really interesting as a person and I think her project at the MOMA (which is what this documentary is centered around) is super fascinating. I love how it gets me thinking about human interaction and feelings and emotions and the projection of one's feelings and emotions onto others and things of that nature. Also, her stamina is pretty admirable.

2. 2 Days in Paris



I always enjoy "lost in translation" type situations, or even one step further than lost in translation - lost with no translation type situations. I'm pretty sure it stems from growing up in a family that speaks two languages where some members speak one, some speak both, and the rest speak the other. My grandmother speaks only Portuguese, I don't speak much Portuguese, and my dad speaks both, so basically every conversation I've ever had with my grandmother has been through the filter of my dad, which, if you know my dad, well, you know that means it's been a challenge haha. Anyway, I know what it's like to be left in a room full of people with whom you cannot communicate beyond facial expressions (often exaggerated) and hand gestures (also exaggerated. No matter how much you wave your hands around, it's not going to help me understand the non-English words coming out of your mouth any better). And Paris! This movie showcases the city without that "City of Light" veneer that a lot of other films set in Paris fall victim to. Also, the frustration and miscommunication within relationships, and culture clashes in general. It's really funny and enjoyable.

3. Girls S2E1



I still haven't made up my mind about Lena Dunham and "Tiny Furniture" and "Girls", etc. I think I read/heard too many opinions about her and her work before I had a chance to see any of it and form any opinions of my own that I'm having a hard time distinguishing what I really feel from what I feel I should feel, you know? On the surface, I enjoy "Girls" because I guess "I get it" - the situations feel familiar, I can relate, I have "been there" in a lot of cases. On the other hand, it feels superficial and whiny and annoying and self-absorbed and very "first world problem"-y (ugh, sorry, I know that phrase is problematic but I don't know how better to express that concept), but then again, is it any more superficial and whiny and annoying and self-absorbed and "first world problem"-y than, say, "Friends"? or "Seinfeld"? Or, does the controversy exist because some feel it's trying to be above shows such as those sitcoms? That it's meant to have some big, great meaning, as opposed to just being entertainment? I don't know. I just know that the line in last night's episode about emoji's actually made me laugh out loud and Shoshanna might be one of my favorite characters ever.

4 . Deutschland Sucht den Superstar S10E2 & 3

Bill Kaulitz (aka my favorite person in the world - sorry everyone else anywhere ever) is a judge on this season's German version of American Idol (along with his twin brother Tom) and oh my god I can't get enough. Watching him in his amazing outfits while he watches the contestants' auditions and tries to hold his shit together is currently one of my life's greatest joys.



Also, the episodes aren't subbed, so I'm practicing my German! Bonus.

2 comments:

  1. I think the "Girls" controversy is mostly driven by sexism and ageism, honestly-- people don't like successful women, let alone successful young women, and this series was created by a 24-year-old woman. It's definitely just as superficial a show as Seinfeld or Friends (or Sex and the City, but for some weird reason I rarely see people make that comparison), and I appreciate it for its cringeworthy ridiculousness, some of which is relatable, but all of which is entertaining in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I get the same sense when I read/hear criticism about Dunham/Girls (which admittedly, has not been in great detail because I've been tending to tune it all out lately). I've also read some criticism about how there are no people of color in the cast, and how apparently when Dunham was asked about it, she basically said "I don't care" which is kind of a flippant response to an important and touchy subject, for sure. But I mean, if someone's legitimate main/only gripe with the show is lack of diversity, then that's fine and justified (and another discussion entirely), but it does often feel like the criticism has undercurrents of sexism and ageism, doesn't it? Hmm.

      Delete